Sunday 6 March 2011

Lipstick bitching!

A whopping 75 minutes of my time today was spent idly perusing the make-up shelves in Superdrug and after careful consideration these three beauties were deemed worthy of parting with a crisp ten pound note:
 (L_R) Barry M : 100, Accessorize: Shade 7 Velvet Pink,  MUA: Shade 1.
Close Up of Barry M 100 

On a daily basis, I am likely to be found drooling over Carey's blog fancy treehouse, she is quickly becoming one of my favourite fashion icons.  I adore  her signature make-up style of feline sixties eyes, pinched cheeks, and understated pale pink lips. In an attempt to recreate this look I picked this Barry M number.  The lipstick has a waxy texture and gives a matte finish. The colour is build able, and on the picture above, three coats were used to achieve this shade.  Please excuse the picture, I hadn't realised until I applied this lipstick how dehydrated my lips had become. With regret,  I think this shade would suit girls with a darker or warmer complexion than mine.  And thus, my search for the perfect pale lipstick continues.
Rating: 4/10 


I was seduced by the packaging reminiscent of old-school glamour of this Accessorize lipstick. Coral is the shade of the season, and this colour will certainly make any face pop! This was my first purchase from this brand, but due to the high quality of this lipstick, it certainly won't be my last. As mentioned, the packaging is gorgeous, I think I just love gold against coral, and the bit of bling at the top, will make it easily identifiable in my lipstick drawer that is awash with sleek, black cases. Also, it smells divine by exuding hints of coconut. In the picture above, I applied the shade twice around my lips. All in all, I am extremely impressed with this purchase, and I believe it will feature quite heavily in this blog over the coming months. 
Rating 7/10



I saved my favourite for last. And ironically, it was also the cheapest lipstick,  for those of you who don't know every product from the MUA range is a meagre pound! The Accessorize's packaging may have been reminiscent of old school glamour but this MUA one is the real deal! I think this is the perfect shade of red for me as the blue undertone marries well with my cold complexion. It is highly pigmentated and I achieved the colour above from only one application. The texture is smooth and glides onto the lips effortlessly; possibly too effortlessly as you can see from the bleeding in the pic above - lip liner is highly recommended! For a measly pound the product is long lasting and I only topped it up tonight after I had finished a 3 course meal. Three hours later, the colour is still going strong. 
Rating 9/10

What lipstick is your favourite? 
XXX

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've wanted to try a pale lippy for ages now, so my fave is the first one, but unfortunately I'm way too pale and blonde to pull it off!
I'm currentyl hunting out the prefect coral/peach shade. It's a mission I can tell you!

xxx Maddie

Loving the Gloss ... said...

Yay!! The last one is my favorite for sure!! Check out my blog as well! www.confessionsofaglossaholic.blogspot.com

-S