Thursday 17 February 2011

Get up offa that thing!

James Brown London Review  

 

Whilst sauntering around the hair section in Boots at the weekend my eyes were drawn to their bargaintastic offer of two for eight quid on these little beauties. I am a brand whore when it comes to my hair as the products I use are forever changing and ultimately my decision is based upon how much money I will have in my back pocket in the aftermath. 
I'm sure most of you will already have heard about James Brown (the hairdresser) if not, then does Kate Moss' fave hairdresser...wild, curly blonde hair.. done a documentary on Channel 4... ring any bells?  
Now I would like to link to his personal website advertised on the side of his products but it seems to be defunct but, if you want, you can watch his documentary on 4od here.  

I have aspirations of one day having hair like Brigitte Bardot so the Volume Boost Shampoo  was the first product that went into my basket. From the PR spiel at the back it informs that it is packed with volumising rice proteins and strength building pro-vitamin B5. It also instructs to leave the product on for two minutes to get optimum results and confidently assures that there is no need to repeat the shampooing process.  

I had no desire to purchase a conditioner as I already have about three half full bottles from various brands in my bathroom but I was badly in need of a weekly nourishing treatment. This came in the form of Intensive Moisture Mask and contains soy protein and white tea  for their calming properties aswell as shea butter  to deeply hydrate the hair. 

So how have I found the products? 
 Well, I have received numerous compliments about my hair in the past few days, namely alluding to how shiny or soft my hair looked. Being the pernicikity consumer that I am, I believe they should change the shampoo's name from 'volume boost' to 'thickening lotion' as I feel it makes my hair expand horizontally rather than my preferred vertically. It has a rather men's shower gel fragrance to it, and the soft tube container means I often squeeze far too much out than necessary.  But, I am impressed with how bouncy it makes my hair even two days after washing because I ordinarily have to tie it back or wash it every day. 

 Now reading this back it does seem a contradiction that I bemoan the shampoo's lack of volumising  property and yet I'm impressed with how bouncy it leaves my hair. What I mean by this, is that after immediately blow drying my hair I still have to follow through with backcombing or adding further product to make my hair bigger but I have noticed that although not hugely uplifting the volume that the shampoo does create lasts for a few days without going limp. With other volumising shampoos that I have used in the past I have noticed that although there was no need to latterly backcomb or add product  I did have to wash my hair every day as the shampoo left residue that makes my hair greasy and lifeless. So overall, I would give this a 3/5 rating as its bad points can be evened out by its good points. 

 Moving on to the intensive mask I'll immediately state that I'm giving it a 5/5 as I really luvve this! Its smell is much more delightful than its predecessor  and left my hair feeling silky smooth. I can't even complain about the squeezy container as it rich formula means its much easier to control the flow of product. In fact I don't think I have one complaint about this mask. Shockeroni or what!  

Below is some pics of these products in action. Instead of my hair I thought it would be easier and more dramatic to show you how effective these are on my extensions. Yes, I am well aware that leaving extensions in a plastic bag stuffed in the bottom of a wardrobe is not the best way to care for them. But honestly, I never thought these would see the light of day again as I quickly came to my senses about their use and disliked how fake and 'Barbie' they made me look ( In my defence I got them after an extremely traumatic hair cut that    
 took my hair from half way down my back to just up by the first of my three chins!). 

 






Pretty impressive huh? 
James Brown's volume boost shampoo and intensive moisture mask may not be the holy grail  of hair products, but for the price I paid for them and as probably a one off purchase I am very pleased with my purchases. 

Has anybody else tried these products, or can you recommend a brand to try out for Bardot-esque hair? 
xxx

No comments: